Tuesday, July 26, 2011

A few of my favorite things...part 1

I love seeing glimpses of other people's lives. Which is probably why I enjoy house hunting, and all of those shows on HGTV, and reading other people's blogs. I could claim that I'm just slightly curious or that I like these behind the scenes glimpses at other people's lives because I'm socially aware or I'm a student of humanity. The truth is that I'm just nosy.


Because I think that sometimes my tendency is to try to make life appear as rosy as possible on this blog - my version of the dreaded Christmas newsletter - I'm going to try to show little glimpses of our lives occasionally.


Today, I thought I'd share some of my favorite things about our home, other than the obvious waterfront view. So, in no particular order, here are a few of my favorite things...



Several years ago we painted our pantry door with chalkboard paint. I love this door. I use it to make grocery lists and to write witty quotations meant to inspire the family. The rest of the family uses it to draw silly pictures and to leave messages for one another. It changes daily. It's never boring. It's awesome!

I also love what surrounds our pantry door. I've been collecting angels and crosses for years. Every time I look at them, I smile. They just make me happy.

Our family is filled with a bunch of bookworms, therefore our home is filled with bookshelves. Almost every room in the house has a, usually overflowing, bookshelf.

Mr. Wonderful and I have one in our bedroom...

and in our office...

The bookshelves in the living room are a bit neater than in the rest of the house!

There are shelves in the guest room...
and The Princess actually has two bookshelves in her room...



Yes, there is a bookshelf in The Boy's room too. 

I have nothing to say about how messy it is.

He's a teenage boy. He's a slob.

Moving on...


I also love the kid's little art projects which are scattered throughout the house. They make me happy. They make me smile.

Our house was not put together by a decorator. The style is...eclectic. We have antiques and hand me down furniture sitting next to newer pieces. It's not a McMansion. It is a 40 year old ranch house with a spectacular view. We have children teenagers and pets. Our house is filled with books and memories and love.

One of the best compliments I ever received was from a friend who came over to have dinner with her family. She said, "I love coming over to your house...I always feel so comfortable here."  

Our house will not win any beauty contests. But as long as my friends feel comfortable and welcome in our home, I'm happy.






















 
Blog Design by April Showers