Friday, December 28, 2012

Hodgepodge

* My car has been repaired and is home again. I'm very happy about this. We had a few issues with the other driver's insurance company (and I was surprised because I've always heard good things about USAA) but in the end, the car DID get repaired and it looks great. 

* The Princess and her BFF, Corky, had a get-together and made cookies. From scratch. It was...entertaining.

Honestly, I didn't think that baking cookies from scratch was all that complicated. But to two 16 year olds, apparently it was!


I popped in to the kitchen when The Princess informed me that we didn't have enough baking soda. I was confused because I thought we had almost an entire box. It turns out that the recipe called for 3/4 of a teaspoon not 1 and 3/4 of a cup. 

Of course. Anyone could make that mistake, right? 

Actually, The Princess has done this exact same thing before. And THIS is why these two girls have been best friends since they were in pre-school.


There may or may not have been a teeny tiny flour fight.

I'll never tell.


* We finally finished hanging curtains and pictures in The Princess's bedroom. It looks great and she is very happy with the results!



* On Christmas Day, opening day, we went to see Les Miserables. I was a bit worried because I had such high expectations - I was afraid I would be disappointed. I wasn't. I LOVED it. 

To be fair, I love the musical...I've seen it four times, three of them in London. I've heard some complaints about the singing not being up to par, and it's true that some of the actors are not exactly Broadway or West End caliber in the singing. But, this wasn't on stage. It was a movie. And the acting was amazing. Hugh Jackman (Jean Valjean) and Anne Hathaway (Fantine) were incredible. Oscar caliber acting. 

One of the best things about the movie was seeing Colm Wilkinson cast as the bishop. When we saw the play in London, he was Jean Valjean - and he will always be in my mind.



I had tears in my eyes at the end. The theatre broke into spontaneous applause. And I want to see it again. And again. And again....

* Christmas was great. It was a wonderful day filled with family and food (and Les Mis!). 

The kids had a lot of fun trying to dress Jack up like the jolly old elf. Jack didn't have quite as much fun.


However, he loved all the wrapping paper and empty boxes. He's a bit perturbed that we took all his new fun "toys" away.



Now I am busily taking decorations down and packing things away. Life has been so crazy around here the past few months - from our impromptu trip to south Florida to pack up my MIL's condo when it sold, to me being sick and the death of our cat, followed by the death of my stepfather and being rear-ended - it's been one thing after another. We are trying to take care of a few projects around the house before this spring when we will try once again to sell our house. I know it's early to take decorations down, but I just want to get the house back to normal and get some cleaning and de-cluttering done.


* These alternating school breaks are killing me - The Princess got out a week before The Boy. Now she goes back to school next Wednesday and he has another week off. I'm ready to get back on a bit of a schedule...





 
Blog Design by April Showers