Tuesday, August 23, 2011

A Last Look at Summer

Summer is officially over. The Princess had an awesome first day of high school. She loves her new school and has made a few new friends. She didn't get lost and she LOVES her English teacher.


The Boy is enjoying all his teachers as well - especially his AP teachers. He has been setting his alarm and getting up on time and seems to be settling nicely into the new routine.


I have been making lunches and signing papers. I have to buy more school supplies, for The Princess this time, and new dance shoes and tights. There are open houses at the schools and Dance Booster Club meetings and Nutcracker auditions coming up.


I am already tired of waking up early and rushing through the day. I'm tired of having to try to remember 5,408,089 things and keeping track of everyone's schedule. Did I mention that I'm tired of waking up early? Did I mention that I'm not a morning person? I'm feeling wistful about summer. I miss sleeping late and having lazy mornings. I miss having the kids around. I miss summer. 


Which means that it is time to take a fond look back at Summer 2011....



The Princess had her Ballet Showcase...


The Boy did some fishing...




We spent a lot of time in the pool...






There were several wildfires in our area...

And we had smoky conditions for a couple of weeks!

The kids went to camp...


Between his week as a camper and his weeks working there, The Boy was there for a month.


The Boy had his 17th Birthday this summer...


The Princess also spent a week at camp...


Then she came home and met Maria, the Spanish exchange student, at the airport...

Maria spent 18 days with us and the girls became great friends...





We had the typical Florida afternoon thunderstorms...


But we still managed to spend a lot of time on the boat...








We went to the beach...


Where The Boy got up close and personal with a stingray.





We saw manatees...


and ospreys...


and alligators!


We're ending the summer keeping a wary eye on Hurricane Irene and hoping she stays well offshore...


And wistfully remembering a wonderful summer filled with fun and relaxation and stress-free days without clocks or calendars or obligations.


Goodbye Summer 2011. You'll be missed.

 
Blog Design by April Showers