Monday, August 8, 2011

Resistance is futile

The countdown has begun on the last precious days of summer. I am dragging my feet and huffing in annoyance and trying to delay the inevitable, but school is starting for The Boy one week from tomorrow with orientation on Friday. The Princess has her orientation the same day The Boy starts school and her school starts the following Monday.




I am not ready for summer to be over. I don't want to begin the crazy, scheduled, regimented school year. I don't want to buy school supplies and new tennis shoes for The Boy and new tights and pointe shoes for The Princess. I don't want to be trying to arrange carpools and looking for backpacks and the best deals on notebook paper. 


I want to continue sleeping late (8:30!) each morning and reading books and swimming and going to the beach and laughing with the kids and hanging out with them and eating dinner together every night. And, apparently, writing the longest, run-on sentences in the history of mankind.


I don't want to have TWO kids in high school!


I don't want to become the repetitive, nagging, haranguing mother I know I will once homework and tests begin. I don't want to become the irritable, frenzied, frazzled wreck which I know I will once the daily grind of waking up early and rushing, rushing, rushing all day begins. 


I like summer. I like having the kids around. I like talking to them. I like how much nicer we are all when we're not rushing around and feeling stressed out. I like how the kids behave when they're not around their peers.


I'm not ready for summer to end.


Not. At. All.







 
Blog Design by April Showers