Thursday, August 12, 2010

Panzanella, a fish story, and kids who think they can dance...dance...dance

Today was rainy and drizzly and other than a couple of errands, we spent it quietly at home.  C fished for a while...




No, I do not know what the white blob on his face is.  My camera is temperamental.  Plus it was raining.


Although he never has managed to catch that tarpon that he says has been taunting him for the past several weeks.  These little guys were all he managed to get today, and we decided to pass on having them for dinner tonight!


A few days ago a friend posted a recipe on her blog for "heel salad".  I thought it sounded and looked so good.  I mentioned this to my mother and she thought it sounded like Panzanella, or Italian Bread Salad.  I thought it also sounded similar to a Bulgarian salad I used to make all the time which just consists of cucumbers, tomatoes, onions, feta cheese and either Italian or Balsamic Vinaigrette.


I have been playing around with both recipes for the past several days and have created the VK Salad, which is a big hit with both the kids and Mr. Wonderful and I.  We have had this almost every day, and we're still not tired of it.  C begs me to make it on a daily basis!


For the bread, I have used whatever is on hand - from Cuban bread to French bread to leftover hamburger buns.  I chop or tear it into chunks, drizzle it with olive oil, add some minced garlic and/or herbs and either saute it or bake it in the oven until crispy.


I add cucumbers, tomatoes, onions and feta cheese (and sometimes chickpeas and chopped basil), drizzle with balsamic vinaigrette and toss. 
This picture does not do it justice - trust me, it's yummy!  We had this salad tonight along with grilled ahi tuna (and for Tim and I, a bottle of Cote du Rhone).  Fabulous.  Afterwards, I tried to get some pics of the kids cleaning the kitchen, but I found them doing a little dancing...

Yes, I know these are terrible pictures.  What can I say - they're action shots.  Plus, I need a new camera.  I.  need.  a. new. camera.


C has some moves I never imagined!

But then, apparently so does P!

Walk like an Egyptian....


In the midst of all the dancing, some cleaning did get accomplished...





But then another song would come on and off they'd go again!

It made for a rather enjoyable evening.
We love laughing at...oops, I mean WITH...our kids!


 
Blog Design by April Showers