There was the time when she was about 8 and tried to help me by starting the dishwasher. She put the soap in and everything...
She just didn't put the RIGHT soap in.
Then there was the time she tried to make macaroni and cheese for herself. She used the "Easy Mac" which is designed for the microwave. She emptied the packet into a bowl, placed it in the microwave and turned it on....and the kitchen filled with foul smoke. You see, she forgot to add water.
After each of these Doris Day type mishaps, The Princess has been embarrassed and upset. But she learned from them. She ALWAYS makes sure to put DISHWASHER soap rather than dish soap in the dishwasher now. And she ALWAYS reads the directions before using the microwave. She will never again forget to add water to Macaroni and cheese!
Last night she learned another life lesson.
A friend had sent her a recipe for mini apple muffins. The Princess thought they sounded delicious and decided to make them. She got all her ingredients out and preheated the oven. She carefully peeled and diced apples. She mixed and mixed and carefully placed the batter in the muffin tins.
As the muffins baked, the house filled with the heavenly aroma of apples and nutmeg and brown sugar. The muffins came out of the oven and looked beautiful. Mr. Wonderful and The Boy were anxiously waiting for them to cool so that they could taste them....
They picked up a muffin and...
It seems that the recipe called for 1 3/4 teaspoon of baking powder. The Princess accidentally added 1 3/4 tablespoons of baking powder.
Her beautiful muffins that she worked so hard on tasted like baking powder.
The poor Princess.
She was devastated.
As we all hastened to assure her that ANYONE could have made the same mistake, she warned us, "What happens in the kitchen, STAYS in the kitchen!!"
Except, of course, if your mother has a blog.