Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Facebook: going beyond relationship status and getting to know your friends better

I used to love going on Facebook and chatting with old friends I had lost touch with.  I loved seeing how everyone had turned out, and catching up on their lives. Lately though, I find myself questioning what I know about some of these newfound "friends."

Let's face it - Facebook allows us a brief glimpse at people's lives.  We know their relationship status, their work and education history, and possibly what they are doing at any particular moment in time.  We are able to see what they look like - but not what type of person they have become.

I wonder if the quiet guy from high school ever really came out of his shell?  Does the party animal from college still like to party?  Is the old boyfriend still a selfish, unfeeling scumbag or has he developed a conscience?

I think Facebook should develop a questionnaire that allows us all a better look at what type of people we are befriending.  I have pondered this, and have come up with the following questions as possibilities.

1.  What type of car do you drive?
2.  Do you consider yourself to be a cat person or a dog person?
3.  If your home were on fire and you could only save three things (other than pets or family members), what would you save?
4.  What is your favorite thing about your home?
5.  When you are not at work, what do you like to do?
6.  If you could go back in time to any period in your life, what time period would you choose?
7.  What is your source for news?
8.  What radio station do you listen to in your car?
9.  What accomplishment are you most proud of?
10. When you have an evening free, do you prefer to go out or stay in?

What do you think?  Don't you agree that you would get a much better sense of who a person is and whether or not you want them to be your "friend" from these questions that from "What is your relationship status?"

Whether you follow me on the blog or via the MDSA facebook page, I'd love to hear your answers!  I'll get the party started....

1.  I drive a 2010 Honda Insight (hybrid) and I love it!  After 14 years of being a minivan mama, I love driving a smaller car.  I also love getting between 45-50 mpg!  

2.  I think I'm both, but if I had to choose one I'd probably say I'm more of a cat person.  Cats don't eat their own poop.  Enough said.

3.  If I could only save three things from my home I would probably grab the photos of me holding the kids when they were babies from our hallway (they match, so I'm counting them as one item!!), the lowboy that my grandfather made in shop class in high school, and one of the many art projects my kids have done throughout the years.

4.  My favorite thing about my home...the view.  Definitely the view. (But I love the floors too....)

5.  I love to read.  I also enjoyed a stained glass class I took a couple of years ago - I'd love to have the time to do more of that.  I love traveling, and museums and spending time with my family - whether it's on the boat, on an airplane, or watching movies on Family Movie Night.

6.  This was a tough one for me...I'm pretty happy where I am right now, but I had a lot of fun working as a flight attendant in my pre-kids life.  Still, I think I would have to pick that precious time when my children were toddlers and pre-schoolers.  I really miss that time.

7.  Lots!  I read the paper every morning, get updates online, listen to NPR, and watch the news on television - although I tend to steer clear of Fox News.  I don't dislike them (necessarily) for political reasons...I was turned off after 9/11 when they were reporting salacious items that had obviously never been checked for accuracy - like that a flight attendant's body had been found still strapped into her jumpseat, and that they had located the hijacker's passports amid the rubble.  I kid you not.

8.  NPR or I listen to my ipod.

9.  I am most proud of my marriage and my children.  Mr. Wonderful is my best friend, and we talk every single day - no matter where he is in the world.  I think that has helped us to stay married for over 20 years.  My children, while they do drive me crazy on occasion, are great.  They are polite, respectful, funny, and talented kids!

10.  This is another hard one.  Sometimes I like to go out and sometimes I like to stay in.  I guess if I had to pick one, I'd say stay in. I guess that means I'm getting old...sigh.

Please play along and send me your answers...either by commenting here, on facebook, or sending me an email....


 
Blog Design by April Showers