Wednesday, June 22, 2011

BFF's

Blogger is being stupid again and will not let me upload photos, so I am improvising today. Instead of showing how incredibly smoky it was yesterday, I am going to talk about friends.


I have been thinking about this topic for a while now. When my children were younger, I was surrounded by people that I thought were my friends. We were in PFL together, we were room moms, many of us were in a bible study group together. We carpooled and watched each other's children and brought dinner when someone was sick. Some of us even vacationed together.


But somehow, as I've gotten older, these friendships that I treasured and thought would be lifelong friendships have disappeared. I am baffled as to why this has happened. I have a few ideas - there were some issues with certain churches and perhaps some of those friends disapproved of my political beliefs...but I would never let those petty things interfere in a friendship. 


I miss those ladies. When we see each other around town, we hug and exclaim about how we just MUST get together soon...but it never happens. We've all moved on and our children have gotten older and life has changed.


While I miss so many of those old friendships and the camaraderie we had, I cannot help but reflect on the friendships that have stood the test of time. My girlfriends from high school, whom I have never lost touch with (S, L, N)...my lifelong, childhood  friend H...the first friend I met when I moved here, L. The one I know I can always call to pick up a kid or help out or listen. You know who you are...you are the ones who always read this blog! You have always been loyal and trustworthy and dependable. You have kept in touch and even though you know my deepest secrets and how flawed I am...you love me anyway!


I miss those lighthearted friendships of my younger years. I miss the Karaoke parties and the chats about raising children and the girl's nights out and the ladies lunches. 


But I treasure my solid gold friends. I treasure the girls who have become women but have always been my friend. Months, and even sometimes years, can pass as we get involved with our own lives but as soon as we see each other or talk on the phone, it's as though no time has passed at all. You are the ones who know me...and you still love me. You are the ones that I know I can call at any time if I need help and you will be there, no questions asked.


You are my lifetime friends. I treasure our friendships. I love you.











 
Blog Design by April Showers