Friday, September 11, 2009

I remember...

September 11, 2001...approximately 8:55 am...I was in my bedroom getting ready for a friend's baby shower, with the Today show droning on in the background. Tim was, thankfully, home - out running errands after dropping the kids off at school. I heard Katie Couric and Matt Lauer talking about a "small plane" hitting the World Trade Center, and then watched as a second plane hit. I remember thinking, "that is not a small plane!"...a few minutes later they showed the second plane hitting the tower from another angle, and with a sick feeling in the pit of my stomach I recognized the logo on the plane. Tim was home at the time with an ear infection, and I was so thankful that he was home!

Clay was in first grade, and Paige was in pre-school. I remember that we tried to protect them from the news, and explained what happened in very simple terms. Clay knew that more was going on though, and we would find him hiding behind the door when we were watching the news. A week or so later his art teacher took us aside at his school to let us know that he was "acting out" - taking clay and building a plane or a tower, and then smashing it. When Tim did go back to work, Clay had a very hard time dealing with him leaving...he was so afraid Daddy wouldn't come home.

My blog today is dedicated to all those who lost their lives on September 11, 2o01. I remember.
 
Blog Design by April Showers