Wednesday, September 7, 2011

A day in the life...

Wednesdays are relatively easy days. The Princess does not have Ballet on Wednesdays, so it is our only day off. Wednesdays we have family dinners and get to go to bed early. 


Here is what my day looked like:


6:00 am: I awaken abruptly, realizing that I have overslept. This is never a good way to start a day. I quickly guzzle down a cup of coffee, throw on some clothes and brush my teeth...


6:23 am: The kids grab backpacks and scramble into the car as I gulp down the last few drops of my coffee...
6:24 am: The Boy eats an apple as we back out of the garage...

And then grabs the paper (and continues eating his apple)

6:45 am: We drop The Boy off at school and hurry off to meet the carpool for The Princess...

7:03 am: The Princess yawns, stretches, and tries to wake herself up...

7:04 am: The morning carpool driver arrives and The Princess is off to school...

7:20 am: I'm home, just in time for the sunrise...



7:30: I need more coffee.

7:40 am: I read the paper and check email...and facebook...

8:15 am: I start some laundry and fold the clothes that have been sitting in a pile on the couch for two days...


9:00 am: I begin chopping vegetables for the beef stew...


9:30 am: Then I begin searing the meat to make The Pioneer Woman's beef stew with beer and paprika. Oil spatters everywhere.

10:00 am: I fruitlessly search through the house before realizing that  we don't have any beef broth. I decide to use chicken broth instead. Then I fruitlessly search through the house again, this time for beer, before deciding to substitute wine. 


10:15 am: I get the stew, including almost an entire bottle of wine (Hey - it's GOT to be good, right?), simmering on the stove...

10:30 am: I change the sheets on the bed and start another load of laundry.

10:45 am: I walk into the kid's rooms, then shriek in horror and run away!

10:53 am: The phone rings...answer the phone and talk to hubby for a while.

11:20 am: I finish cleaning the kitchen and start the dishwasher. 

11:30 am: I start ironing clothes...

11:35 am: I realize that I haven't taken a shower yet. So I stop the dishwasher, shower, and then re-start the dishwasher.

12:00 pm: Vacuum house, sweep and mop kitchen floor....I continue to find oil splatters from the stew meat on every conceivable surface. 

12:20 pm: I glance in the mirror and see that my hair is sticking up in every direction because I never dried it after shower. Re-wet hair and dry it. I decide to brush my teeth again, just in case.

12:30 pm: My tummy grumbles. I realize that I never had breakfast. I decide to eat lunch. 

12:45 pm: Fold more laundry. Blah Blah Blah.

1:15 pm: Hop in the car to drive afternoon carpool pickup at The Princess's school...

2:00 pm: I arrive at the school in time for early dismissal. I wait for the kids to get to the car and check in with The Boy to make sure he got home OK. Then I read my Kindle. 

2:20 pm: I wonder what is taking the kids so long. The bell rang 10 minutes ago. I feel a headache coming on....

2:30 pm: The kids arrive at the car, and we head home...

3:00 pm: Drop off the other carpool kids...

3:20 pm: Arrive home...The kids start on their homework...




4:15 pm: I hear a horrible, shrill, squawking sound and find this on the boathouse...


4:10 pm: The heron continues squawking and shrieking in a very annoying fashion. I tell the stupid bird to SHHHH .... He ignores me and continues making hideous noises.


4:15 pm: I take a photo of a flower. The annoying heron continues his raucous cacophony. 


4:20 pm: The obnoxious heron finally flies away...still shrieking his hideous lament...


4:30 pm: I decide to take some Advil.

5:00 pm: I reminisce about a few days earlier when the kids were begging for bananas, "You never get us bananas, Mom!" 

5:02 pm: I mumble under my breath about spoiled kids who don't eat the food I buy and then let things go to waste. I decide to make banana bread...

5:30 pm: The banana bread is in the oven...

5:35 pm: The phone rings...The Boy talks to his cousin...

6:00 pm: The stew is good. In fact, it's delicious. The wine was a fantastic addition.
6:25 pm: I ask the kids to empty the dishwasher. 

6:35 pm: I ask the kids to empty the dishwasher. Again.

6:45 pm: The Princess empties half of the dishwasher. The Boy says, "I will. In a minute."

6:55 pm: I ask The Boy to finish emptying the dishwasher. I am sure that I had a "tone" in my voice to clue him in to the fact that I am quickly running out of patience....

7:05 pm: I walk into the kitchen to find that The Boy has still not emptied the dishwasher. I yell at him. He finally gets up and finishes emptying it, mumbling under his breath about how he was going to do it in just a minute and how impatient I am, etc. 

7:06 pm: I ignore him. I decide that I shouldn't waste the little bit of wine that I didn't use in the stew.

7:10 pm: I enjoy the wine. I really do.

7:30 pm: The kids take showers while I pack the Princess's lunch and wipe down the counters in the kitchen.

7:45 pm: Jack starts walking around the house, whining pitifully. I tell him to be quiet. He ignores me.

8:00 pm: I wonder why I ever thought it was a good idea to have pets and I irritably tell the cat to SHUT UP for the love of all that's holy!

8:02 pm: I cry uncle and go feed the rotund, whining feline.

8:03 pm: The Boy is quizzing The Princess for her Biology test. I remember that there is still a load of sheets in the dryer and go fold them and put them away.

8:30 pm: I lock the doors and collapse into bed. Good night.









 
Blog Design by April Showers