Friday, January 28, 2011

Flashback Friday: Memories



This photograph is of my great-great grandparents. Take a close look at my G-G Grandmother's chin. That's my chin. That strange little chin...looks just like mine. 

Which has absolutely nothing to do with anything, but it is sort of interesting that a trait like a funny little chin would jump 4 generations, isn't it? 

Anyway.

I was, once again, looking through old photos and I started thinking about memories. I can still remember my best childhood friend's telephone number. I can remember my old boyfriend's birthday (May 27). I remember the middle names of the guys who lived next door in my apartment complex during college (Gordy, Wyatt, Brent). I can still remember the address of every house I have ever lived in. I remember all the words to the theme songs for the Brady Bunch  (Here's the story, of a lovely lady....) and Gilligan's Island (Just sit right back and you'll hear a tale...).

I don't really want to remember those things. But I do. They are embedded in my brain. Along with other stuff...commercials (Timex: takes a licking, and keeps on ticking...Alka Seltzer: Plop, plop, fizz, fizz - oh what a relief it is...McDonald's: Two all beef patties, special sauce, lettuce, cheese, pickles, onions on a sesame seed bun...), the words to songs that I don't even like (Muskrat Suzie and muskrat Sam, do the jitterbug at a muskrat land...)

So tell me, please...if I can remember all of these ridiculous, worthless things that I don't even want to remember...why can't I remember my own cell phone number? Why can't I remember what I am doing tomorrow? Why do I go blank when I am asked my social security number? Why can't I remember to mail birthday cards in time?

Why?

 
Blog Design by April Showers