Sunday, January 30, 2011

The one about throbbing heads and crushed knees...

There are a couple of reasons that I haven't been around much the past couple of days. First, the kids and I have had some kind of virus - we've been headachy, feverish, and felt queasy for days. The kids, naturally, bounced back more quickly than moi and I have been spending a lot of time lying in bed with an ice pack on my head suffering gracefully in silence as I am wont to do.


Because I am the perfect patient. I'm not prone to drama and angst at all.


Nope, not me.


Are you LAUGHING??


Well...OK, it's possible that I might have complained just a teeny tiny bit about the sledgehammer that kept pounding my poor head. And it is possible that I may have moaned piteously a few times. But, only because I thought my head was going to explode! Really.


Anyway, I am feeling much, much, much better today. 


The other reason I haven't been around much is that Friday afternoon my mother called me to say that she had fallen and crushed her knee. The thing you have to understand about my mother is that she is...hmmm...how should I put this? She is grace-challenged. She is balance-deficient. She is, in short, a bit of a klutz.


Anyway, we went to the emergency room where they took x-rays of her knee and discovered that she had split her patella (knee cap) in half. 


Poor Mom. She is in a lot of pain and is not getting around very well, so she is staying here with us and we are trying to pamper her a bit!
Mom has had visitors who brought laughter, smiles and a milkshake (which cheered her up immensely!) and has friends and family chipping in to help make sure her house keeps running and her pets get taken care of.

She is icing her knee and keeping it elevated and relaxing and resting. Tomorrow she will see the orthopedist and see what the next step will be.

In the meantime, the kids are enjoying having "Ging-Ging" around all the time, and I am enjoying taking care of her for a change!





 
Blog Design by April Showers