Sunday, July 10, 2011

Making the water dance

I asked The Boy to take the trash out this afternoon and he came running back inside the house shouting, "Mom...Come here! Quick!" He was gesturing at the lake as he ran onto the dock, so I decided to grab my camera and see what was going on.


There were a bunch of manatees making the water dance. Or something.


Let me explain...when The Boy was younger and infatuated with The Crocodile Hunter, we heard an alligator bellowing out in the lake one evening. The Boy explained to me that it was his mating call and he went on to tell me all about alligators and mating. I was a bit concerned and asked him if he knew what mating was. My 6 year old son looked at me and earnestly explained that mating was when the alligators make "the water dance."


I'm not exactly sure what was going on with the manatees today, but they were frisky. They were frolicking. And they WERE making the water dance!





Look at those scars on his back...so sad.









There were about 10 of them out there romping. Big Daddy's and mommas and babies.

We see manatees often around here. Usually they are slow and placid and lethargic. Today they were energetic and playful and lively.

I never knew that manatees made any noise, other than exhaling loudly when they surface. But today we heard one of the big guys surface and made a sort of snorting, trumpeting, wheezing bellow.

It was very interesting.

They entertained us for about 30 minutes before moving on to carouse in another little cove.

I love manatees. I love them even more after today's performance. 





The Princess came out to the dock after a few minutes. She looked puzzled and asked, "What IS that?" The Boy and I facetiously said, "We're watching whales, P." She laughed, so I assumed she knew we were joking.


I forgot that she is a blonde at heart. 


As I was walking back to the house she turned to The Boy and said, "They're manatees, right? You were joking about the whales. Weren't you?"


Hee Hee.

 
Blog Design by April Showers