Saturday, December 4, 2010

Back when I was a kid...

If you are on facebook, then I'm sure you've noticed all of the cartoon images taking over people's profile pictures.  Here's the message that is making the rounds, along with the cartoon images...


Change your FB profile picture to a Cartoon Character from your childhood and invite your friends to do the same. Until Monday (Dec 6), there should be no human faces on FB, but an invasion of memories. This is a CAMPAIGN FOR STOPPING VIOLENCE AGAINST CHILDREN! ! !

Now, I must admit that I'm not quite clear as to how changing your profile picture to a cartoon image will actually help stop violence against children, but I'm all for a good trend - and this one is actually kind of fun.

I started googling images of cartoons from my childhood, which started me reminiscing about Saturday mornings, back when they were fun.  Do you remember when Saturday mornings were filled with cartoons instead of soccer games?  Back before the Cartoon Network?  

As a kid, we would look forward all week to the one day that we could watch KID TV.  We would wake up, pour a bowl of cereal and eat it in front of the TV.  We would be glued to the television set until 11:30 or so, when the cartoons would taper off and the boring grown-up shows would start coming on.  It was great for the parents as well, because they could sleep late and know that their kids were safely glued to the television for the morning.

Saturday mornings...zoned out in front of the television for hours...having to actually get up and walk over to the television if you wanted to change the channel, because there was no such thing as a remote control...watching shows like...
Captain Caveman....

Land of the Lost...

The Harlem Globetrotters...

Scooby Doo...

Speed Racer...

Super Friends...

The Hair Bear Bunch...

The Flintstones...

The Jetsons...

Sigmund and the Sea monsters...

Hong Kong Phooey...

Jonny Quest...

and my personal favorites...

Penelope Pitstop and...

Josie and the Pussycats!

Now, I'm not saying that these were great shows (Sigmund and the Sea Monsters, for example, was quite...well...ridiculous.  It was the 70's after all, and I can only assume that a lot of people in Hollywood were doing some serious drugs to come up with that one!)  My children were cracking up as I showed them clips from these old shows on youtube.  But, the feeling of Saturday mornings was magical.  

Saturday mornings were for kids.  

Actually, I'm sure the parents all thought Saturday morning cartoons were a gift for them!

Still, as I watched those clips on youtube, and remembered all of the lyrics to the catchy little tunes, I was transported back to a time when Saturdays were special.  Back when we knew which shows came on at what time, and what came on next.  When even watching the commercials was fun...singing along with the commercials (I'd like to teach the world to sing...), being mesmerized by all of the new fabulous toys, and watching Schoolhouse Rock!

Wow.  I'm thinking that those were "the good ol' days"....I'm getting old!



 
Blog Design by April Showers