Thursday, October 6, 2011

Three Things on Thursday.

1. I haven't been been posting many photos lately because I was having trouble with my SD card deleting photos randomly. Then, once I fixed that (I think), my laptop started acting all weird. I'm afraid I may have a virus so I haven't been using it until I can get it looked out. Which means I have to use Mr. Wonderful's laptop and it doesn't have photoshop loaded, so everything takes twice as long.


Anyway, I decided to take a look and see what was on my SD card and I found a random sunrise picture from the other day.

I remember the day I took that (3 days ago?) because there was a turtle rooting around that morning too...


2. The other day I pulled some of the Halloween decorations out. While I was gathering pumpkins and witches and spice scented candles, the kids discovered the bin full of costumes and masks...



Lucy was a good sport about being the Halloween model. 

Sort of.


Then The Princess took over modeling duties. By the way, I need to find another blog name for her. Apparently, now that she is a high schooler, she believes that she really IS a princess. I'm leaning toward "The Pouty One" or "The Moody One."  What do you think? I'm open to suggestions...

3. Anyway, I saved the most exciting news for last. I finally, FINALLY found a recipe for granola bars. I've been trying recipes for granola bars for years and they always fall apart and crumble. I can't even remember where I found this recipe - somewhere in internet-land. But just in case you might have been looking for a granola bar recipe too, I thought I'd share it...

1/2 c. peanut butter
1/3 c. honey
1/4 c. unsalted butter
1 c. oats (not quick oats)
2 tbsp. wheat germ (I didn't have this, so added oat bran instead)
1/2 c. coconut
1/2 c. chocolate chips
(I also added nuts and Fiber One cereal to mine)


I had some pumpkin seeds and hazelnuts so I decided to add them too. I chopped the hazelnuts and toasted everything for a few minutes.

Then I melted the butter, peanut butter, and honey in a pot over low to medium heat.

While the butters and honey were melting, I measured out the oats, oat bran, and Fiber One cereal and added the toasted nuts.

Then I dumped the peanut butter mixture on top.


The recipe said to wait for it to cool before adding the chocolate chips and coconut, but I was in a hurry. Plus I kind of like everything all chocolatey.


Then I poured it all into a foil lined 8x8 pan...


I put some Saran wrap on top to smush everything down and get it all even. 


And then I popped it into the freezer. Right in front of all of my frozen Weight Watchers and Lean Cuisine meals. Which isn't ironic at all.

You could just put it in the refrigerator to set if you have more patience than I do.


After they are set, just take them out of the pan and cut into the size you like. And then eat them...they're yummy!

I made a batch of these yesterday and my family devoured them. They loved them and begged me to make more. We also all decided that we like them frozen more than refrigerated.







 
Blog Design by April Showers