Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Ash Wednesday


Today is Ash Wednesday, and the beginning of Lent. 

Instead of my usual habit of giving up something silly like chocolate, I have decided to try something a bit different this year. I was inspired by this and this, and I think I am going to do a bit of a combination of the two ideas.

The 40 bags in 40 days sounds like a wonderful idea, especially since we are attempting to declutter as we prepare the house to try to sell it. I am also very intrigued by the idea of attempting a carbon fast.

My goal during this lenten season is to purge my home and my life of extraneous stuff - whether it be junk that has been sitting in closets for many years or turning off the tv, eating locally grown produce and less meat, or abstaining from facebook!

I hope that simplifying my life a bit will help me to become more centered.
I hope to become closer to my family and to God.

The Princess is giving up junk food and The Boy is giving up soda. Plus, they don't know it yet but methinks they might be doing this simplifying thing too. After all, I am (in theory, anyway) in charge around here...I think using less water (shorter showers, anyone?) and less gas (skipping after school activities occasionally, hmm?) might be a grand idea!

Do you plan on giving up something for Lent this year? 


 
Blog Design by April Showers