Friday, January 1, 2010

There's no place like home!

Wednesday morning, 6:00 AM, we finally got seats on a plane - only to have the flight cancel due to a mechanical.  After that, we tried for three more flights - but everything was oversold (because all the people on the canceled flight had to be accommodated)....the kids and I rented a car and started driving.  The first day (because of our late start and extreme fatigue from waking up at 3:45 am!!) we only made it to south of Dayton, Ohio....got a hotel room and a good night's sleep.  We woke up early Thursday morning and started driving again.  After a slight (ok, a big) detour in Tennessee/Georgia (the quick version - traffic on I-75 came to almost a complete standstill for about thirty minutes...no idea why...I was finally able to get off at an exit and saw a sign for 64 EAST...for some reason I thought it would be a good idea to keep moving east...which would have worked fine except after about 30 minutes of driving the road was closed due to a rockslide...followed the detour way out in the boondocks in Nowhereville, Tennessee, and finally ended back on I-75 North of Atlanta...a three hour detour!) we made it home at 10:45 pm.  We welcomed 2010 in our own home and we are very, very happy!!

A few photos of our odyssey (taken by Clay, and you will be able to tell from the photos that driving conditions were a bit challenging!!)....and some fun facts from the kids:

CLAY:  I counted 14 live turkeys, 15 live deer, 1 dead opossum, 1 dead coyote (I think), 7 dead raccoons, and 18 dead deer.  When we took our detour in Georgia, I saw a sign for a restaurant called "Edna's Roadkill Cafe" which I thought was funny because of all the roadkill we saw, but I didn't have time to take a picture.

PAIGE:  We passed exits for Milan, Paris, Versailles, Athens (2 times), Rome, and London.


 
Blog Design by April Showers