Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Great Expectations

Last year Tim and I made the decision to pull Paige from her wonderful ballet training downtown, which was 4 evenings per week, and put her in a smaller studio only 5 minutes from our house.  The drive was really taking a toll on the whole family (45 minutes each way!), and we felt that it was very important that we all sit down to have dinner together.  Also, because that drive was sucking the life's blood out of me.  But mostly for the family dinners.  Really.

When the kids were younger we always had family dinners, and we taught the kids table manners (I promise, we did!) and had conversations about their days. Then, slowly, the many activities started to take over and the family dinners became more and more sporadic.  We knew it was time for us to take control of our lives again and to make the family a priority.

We envisioned lively conversations.  Polite kids, who use their cutlery and napkins...peace...tranquility...a time for us all to unwind from the stresses of the day.

HA!!

Here's what we got.

First, before we can set the table or eat, we have to clear it of this...

Then, because we now have two teenagers rather than sweet little children...there is a bit of "Pull your pants up"..."Have you done your homework"..."Clay, gimme my pencil back!"..."HaHaHa"...."Put the cat down - now go wash your hands"...."Is your room clean?"...and so forth and so on, until  I screech ask sweetly for everyone to be seated.

The best part of the meal is the blessing.  Usually the kids take turns...they are always sweet and heartfelt, and always end with, "Dear God, please take care of Ms. Whitelaw and Kevin and Katie."  Which always, always breaks my heart just a little.  Then dinner progresses to this...

Great use of the cutlery,  Clay....a bit scary, perhaps.....

and this....

Um, Paige?  Those silver things sitting next to your plate?  That's a knife and fork...you don't need to use your hands to eat the asparagus!

As I am frantically trying to get my kids to display some manners, I glance over at my dear husband to ask him to help me out here and I see this....

Yeah. 

Clearly, He's no help.  

Hmmm.....


You know?  That's not a bad idea!


 
Blog Design by April Showers