Saturday, February 13, 2010

Stingray City

I had planned to take a break from blogging today, but then I came across these old photos from the delayed honeymoon to Grand Cayman...

February 1993:  We went on our little vacation with another couple, also airline people...good friends (they are actually Clay's Godparents, even though we never talk any more.  Weird how things change.)  Anyway, we had a great time - eating out, hanging out at the beach, doing all the touristy things.  One of the touristy things was a snorkeling trip, which culminated at "Stingray City" - you get out on this sandbar and feed the stingrays.  Being a Florida girl, I was a bit nervous about this.  I mean, we learn the "stingray shuffle" as soon as we can walk....and I am a bit of a baby about things like that anyway.  But I got into the spirit of things (see photo above) and touched the things and was trying to be brave.  There were about 10-15 of them, and it was kind of neat, actually.  Until, out of the corner of my eye, I saw HUNDREDS of those dark shapes flying towards us in that crystal clear water.  Well, c'mon - what would YOU have done??
I shrieked, leaped into Tim's arms, and demanded asked sweetly for him to please take me back to the boat.  (If you click on the photo you can see the expression of horror concern on my face.  You can also see how my sweet, caring husband was laughing at me!!)

Apparently, lots of those snorkeling boats visit Stingray City at the same time every day.  The stingrays know this, and come swarming in to be fed.  Huh.  I'm not kidding - there were hundreds of them.  It was an interesting experience  - until then!

Here's one more "flashback photo" of our anniversary...

February 13, 1990
(Friday the 13th!!)
Boulder, Colorado
Signing the Marriage Certificate

 
Blog Design by April Showers