Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Much ado about absolutely NOTHING!

Yesterday I was chatting with my friend Nora, and discussing how she'd like to get someone famous to participate in this event that she is helping with.  I suggested Jon Bon Jovi (only because I LOVE him!) and then a few other celebrities....the conversation then somehow shifted to famous people we know, or wish we knew, and I mentioned some "celebrities" I had had on flights.

You see, long ago in a galaxy far, far away I had a job other than my current one of chauffer/short order cook/housekeeper/referee/scheduling coordinator/and wife and mom.  I was a flight attendant.


Before I go on, let me answer the inevitable questions:

*  Yes, it was (sorta) fun.  Mostly.  Some of the time.
*  It's harder than it looks.
*  No, I don't really miss it.  I DO miss having a hotel room ALL TO MYSELF!!
*  I also miss the camaraderie.  Jumpseat talk is the best.

And also, before I go any further....may I just say that flight attendants work VERY hard.  Much harder than most of you realize.  Give them a break.  It's not their fault that the flight is late, or the the kid behind you keeps kicking your seat, or that the airline is cutting back and there isn't a meal (or if you are lucky enough to get a meal, that there isn't any chicken left).  It's not their fault that you can't lift your "carry on" bag.  It's not their responsibility to lift it for you.  They're doing the best they can.  They are tired too.  They are also underpaid and understaffed.  And whatever you do, if you are traveling with a baby or a small child, DO NOT try to hand a dirty diaper to the flight attendant during the beverage service.  Just think about it, ok?

OK, then.

So...a few of the "celebrities" I had on flights.  You know, back in the day.  
There were many, many soap opera stars.  Sorry, I can't remember their names.  Some of them were really nice (like this guy from One Life To Live that I had on almost every week for a while there!)



...and others, not so much.  A bit full of themselves.

Another not so nice one that I happen to remember is this one...
SHE is "famous" for marrying a famous rock star (Mick Jagger) and hanging out at Studio 54 with Andy Warhol.  Not much else.

Most of the others (that I can remember) were nice.
I had Reagan's Secretary of Defense on...

Caspar Weinberger.  Very quiet.  But he wasn't rude or anything.  

I also had this famous figure skater on...

Scott Hamilton.  Very sweet.
And SO SMALL!! He wasn't much taller than me! (5'2")

Does anyone remember Laurin Sydney, CNN's entertainment reporter?

She was on my flight a few times...she always traveled with her tiny little Shih Tzu puppy.  She was always very sweet too.

But the most famous celebrity I ever had on?  You won't believe it.  You also won't believe that he was the NICEST one.  Seriously.  Very polite....called me by my name (as opposed to OMISS).  This was around 1991 or 1992 - before he REALLY became famous.

The best part of the story?
He ordered "oj".

Ha Ha Ha.


PS.  If you know anyone famous who might be willing to help, please contact Nora!






 
Blog Design by April Showers